17 January 2010

The Light

I find it invigorating to be planning a garden in the dead of winter. It rekindles my soul, reminding me we are past the darkest winter days. The northern hemisphere is indeed tilting back toward the sun again. It gives me hope to think of the warmth that will soon warm our soil, and then from it feed our bodies.

Our coldest weeks are surely to come as they always do in late January and early February. I attend to the important task of planning our garden for this growing season. The first growing season in years without any foreseeable obstacles except the obvious: time. I have high ambitions of transforming our small, compact growing space into an even more productive vegetable garden than in the past.

We just built new propogation shelves for our veggies, herbs and flowers. In two weeks time we will sow and anxiously await the first signs of spring: tomato, eggplant and pepper germination!!

No comments: