22 April 2010

A Family Affair

I am so lucky the boys like to garden. I use that term rather loosely as for the moment I must be vigilent or Ezra will rake under my delicate lettuce seedlings. They tend to wander down the block while I putter around the beds, watering or transplanting as the work dictates.

To address my friend's question about gardening with children, we love having them in the gardens but have never read any books on the subject. We simply allow them to lead us through their interests. It seems to work out. Ezra is already smelling flowers, the same age at which Jonah started gently leaning down, nestling his nose deep into the bloosom and breathing in deeply.

As far as gardening tips, we love our book from Steve Solomon called Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades. It's really a Willamette Valley gardening reference book but we use it here where soils are loamy and deep and summers are hot and humid. Happy gardening to you all.

No comments: